.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Yes, Cartter with two Ts

An opportunity for the Cartter family to communicate - if you're one of us, jump in! If you're not a Cartter, leave a comment someplace anyway - I'd like to know who's stopping by. Otherwise, I'm just going to ramble until a Cartter comes in with questions... Astutia Et Animo

My Photo
Name:
Location: Glendale, Arizona, United States

My blog has moved to The O Word. See you there!

Saturday, August 06, 2005

The Wisconsin Cartters Preface

PREFACE


Like many others I have said with a sense of guilt, “Why didn’t I ask more questions about my family, or listen more carefully to Father as he spoke of them?” No, it was not his fault. I had turned a deaf ear in the direction of family history.

Little did I appreciate then that James Bruce and Isadora (Swift) Cartter, my paternal grandparents, had played such pioneering roles; and that both had descended from immigrant ancestors who came to America in the 1630’s. By varied routes they had reached Wisconsin shortly before it was made a state.

As with most of us when we approach retirement age, I began to realize my neglect, - but not until after many sources of information were no longer available. Other sources did remain, however; and the search has been most interesting and rewarding.

Louise (Adams) Curran 93 years young, my cousin and the only living relative who knew both grandparents, has been a helpful source on family background. Old letters were found which added insight into the joys and sorrows of earlier days. Many of these letters are being preserved and catalogued by my niece, Mrs. John Forssen, of Missoula, Montana. They will later be deposited with the Wisconsin Historical Society. Old pictures and newsclippings also brought to light personalities I had never known. The archives of the Wisconsin Historical Library produced a wealth of information which added much detail and many historic facts about the times.

Perhaps the most interesting experiences have been those trips which my wife Rachel and I made to areas where the Cartter families have lived. Court houses, old farms, and churches were visited. An occasional distant relative was also found.

I have attempted to set forth the results of this search in two parts, the one in story form (non-fictional) and the other in genealogical record. James Bruce Cartter, my grandfather, was chosen as the central figure for the former primarily because he seemed to represent those qualities which characterized so many of our pioneer forefathers.

The genealogical record covers eleven generations of Carters and Cartters in America, the first four being quite abbreviated. Each individual is identified by a number which may be found in the index. Unfortunately the records are incomplete in several places due to lack of information. Any reader who may be able to add facts, or correct errors is urged to contact the author.

/s/ Bruce L. Cartter
Madison, Wisconsin



Update:

Bruce Lanpher is my paternal grandfather. When this book was first published, in 1973, I was a young boy and, much like him, not really interested in the family history. History has a funny habit of repeating itself, for those not paying attention the first time around, and I find myself wanting to know more but finding that many of the “contacts” are no longer around.

The request for correction or additions stands for this very reason. I know that there are many more relations out there than are listed in this update. Please use the comments section, or e-mail me directly, to fill me in on information I may not have.

Traveling is a luxury in this day and age that I am not able to indulge in, due to scheduling restraints and the historically high prices of fuel. There are many times I have kicked myself for not asking to go along with Grandfather while he was working on the original manuscript, during those summers that I was allowed to stay with him and Rachel.

I will attempt to do his memory proud by bringing this into the information age.

Cary Bruce Cartter
Glendale, Arizona
August 6, 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google